Transfer Window Round Up
I never did keep a weekly round up of Transfer news, did I? Just as well really given that there was fuck all news around until early august, but I don't think that's something that's likely to "offend" anyone.
So, without further ado, lets look at the Transfer business we managed to get up to.
Firstly, Transfers In. I never made any predictions with this, mainly because you are never quite sure what a manager is going to do anyway. And trying to second guess Rafa is a complete waste of time.
Transfers In
DF Fabio Aurelio (Valencia, Free)
DF Gabriel Paletta (Banfield, £2 Million)
MF Jermain Pennant (Birmingham, £6.7 Million)
MF Mark Gonzalez (Albacete, £4.5 Million*)
FC Craig Bellamy (Blackburn, £6 Million)
FC Dirk Kuyt (Feyenoord, £10 Million**)
Players In : 6
Total Expenditure : £29.2 Million
Notes: * = Transfer deal was finalised last season but finally went through this summer, which is why it is included here.
** = Figure was undisclosed but that is the figure that is quoted almost everywhere.
Personally, that is not a bad bit of business really. To bring in 6 players, 3 of which are established internationals is a very tidy bit of business. And discounting the £4.5 Million we spent on Marky G, we spent nearly £25 Million on players, which is pretty close to what I thought Rafa would be allowed to spend.
I'm not going to comment any more on these guys because it's too early in the season to tell how successful they are going to be. All I will say is that we have added some really quality to the squad and that was really the most important thing.
Where most of the business was done was in actually getting the Players Out the door. This information has been lovingly cut and pasted from the always indispensible Football Transfers.net, so this information remains their copyright and if their lawyers are unhappy with me using, I will be more than happy to take the offending material down. Good. Got that out of the way.
Transfers Out
GK Chris Kirkland (Wigan Athletic, Loan)
GK Scott Carson (Charlton Athletic, Loan)
GK Paul Lancaster (Un-attached)
GK Paul Willis (Un-attached)
DF Djimi Traore (Charlton Athletic, £2m)
DF Antonio Barragan (Deportivo la Coruna, £750,000)
DF Jan Kromkamp (PSV, £1 Million)
DF Carl Medjani (Lorient, Free)
DF David Raven (Carlisle United, Free)
DF Calum Woods (Un-attached)
MF Bruno Cheyrou (Rennes, Undisclosed)
MF Dietmar Hamann (Bolton Wanderers, Free)
MF Anthony Le Tallec (Sochaux, Loan)
MF Danny O'Donnell (Crewe Alexandra, Loan)
MF Darren Potter (Wolverhampton Wanderers, Loan)
FC Fernando Morientes (Valencia, £3 Million
FC Djibril Cisse (Marseille, Loan)
FC Neil Mellor (Preston North End, £500,000)
FC Florent Sinama-Pongolle (Recreativo Huelva, Loan)
FC Ramon Calliste (Un-attached)
FC Robbie Foy (Un-attached)
Total Transfers Out : 21 (14 Permanent, 7 Loans)
Total Income : £7.25 Million (as of now)
As you can see, there was a good clearout by Rafa and not only that, there really isn't one name there that I can really disagree. The only name that isn't on that list is Salif Diao's. Nothing against the guy at all but it would really would have been a perfect summer transfer wise if we'd managed to ship him out. Either way, I'm pleased with that.
The only other absentee on that list is Jerzy Dudek. And given Reina's troubles early on in the season, I can see that being a bit of a masterstroke by Rafa. As good as Scott Carson is, I think he's still a bit raw and having someone like Dudek as backup is clearly going to be important.
Of the 7 loan deals, I can see possibly two becoming permanent (Kirkland's and Le Tallec's) and the rest are merely for experience. Potter's may well be with an eye on being permanent but more likely to get first team experience. His still only 22 and has shown glimpses of talent.
So, all in all a pretty decent summer on the transfer front. Some genuine talent coming in and plenty of deadwood shipped out. And with some money left over for January. When, if we haven't blooded Paul Anderson into the first team squad, some decent cover for Pennant will hopefully be drafted in. And hopefully, it wont be Lucas Neill.......
So, without further ado, lets look at the Transfer business we managed to get up to.
Firstly, Transfers In. I never made any predictions with this, mainly because you are never quite sure what a manager is going to do anyway. And trying to second guess Rafa is a complete waste of time.
Transfers In
DF Fabio Aurelio (Valencia, Free)
DF Gabriel Paletta (Banfield, £2 Million)
MF Jermain Pennant (Birmingham, £6.7 Million)
MF Mark Gonzalez (Albacete, £4.5 Million*)
FC Craig Bellamy (Blackburn, £6 Million)
FC Dirk Kuyt (Feyenoord, £10 Million**)
Players In : 6
Total Expenditure : £29.2 Million
Notes: * = Transfer deal was finalised last season but finally went through this summer, which is why it is included here.
** = Figure was undisclosed but that is the figure that is quoted almost everywhere.
Personally, that is not a bad bit of business really. To bring in 6 players, 3 of which are established internationals is a very tidy bit of business. And discounting the £4.5 Million we spent on Marky G, we spent nearly £25 Million on players, which is pretty close to what I thought Rafa would be allowed to spend.
I'm not going to comment any more on these guys because it's too early in the season to tell how successful they are going to be. All I will say is that we have added some really quality to the squad and that was really the most important thing.
Where most of the business was done was in actually getting the Players Out the door. This information has been lovingly cut and pasted from the always indispensible Football Transfers.net, so this information remains their copyright and if their lawyers are unhappy with me using, I will be more than happy to take the offending material down. Good. Got that out of the way.
Transfers Out
GK Chris Kirkland (Wigan Athletic, Loan)
GK Scott Carson (Charlton Athletic, Loan)
GK Paul Lancaster (Un-attached)
GK Paul Willis (Un-attached)
DF Djimi Traore (Charlton Athletic, £2m)
DF Antonio Barragan (Deportivo la Coruna, £750,000)
DF Jan Kromkamp (PSV, £1 Million)
DF Carl Medjani (Lorient, Free)
DF David Raven (Carlisle United, Free)
DF Calum Woods (Un-attached)
MF Bruno Cheyrou (Rennes, Undisclosed)
MF Dietmar Hamann (Bolton Wanderers, Free)
MF Anthony Le Tallec (Sochaux, Loan)
MF Danny O'Donnell (Crewe Alexandra, Loan)
MF Darren Potter (Wolverhampton Wanderers, Loan)
FC Fernando Morientes (Valencia, £3 Million
FC Djibril Cisse (Marseille, Loan)
FC Neil Mellor (Preston North End, £500,000)
FC Florent Sinama-Pongolle (Recreativo Huelva, Loan)
FC Ramon Calliste (Un-attached)
FC Robbie Foy (Un-attached)
Total Transfers Out : 21 (14 Permanent, 7 Loans)
Total Income : £7.25 Million (as of now)
As you can see, there was a good clearout by Rafa and not only that, there really isn't one name there that I can really disagree. The only name that isn't on that list is Salif Diao's. Nothing against the guy at all but it would really would have been a perfect summer transfer wise if we'd managed to ship him out. Either way, I'm pleased with that.
The only other absentee on that list is Jerzy Dudek. And given Reina's troubles early on in the season, I can see that being a bit of a masterstroke by Rafa. As good as Scott Carson is, I think he's still a bit raw and having someone like Dudek as backup is clearly going to be important.
Of the 7 loan deals, I can see possibly two becoming permanent (Kirkland's and Le Tallec's) and the rest are merely for experience. Potter's may well be with an eye on being permanent but more likely to get first team experience. His still only 22 and has shown glimpses of talent.
So, all in all a pretty decent summer on the transfer front. Some genuine talent coming in and plenty of deadwood shipped out. And with some money left over for January. When, if we haven't blooded Paul Anderson into the first team squad, some decent cover for Pennant will hopefully be drafted in. And hopefully, it wont be Lucas Neill.......

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home